Back grey_arrow_rt.gif
 
 
Libya Sentences 6 Bulgarian Nuses to Die in H.I.V. Case
 
 
  NY Times
Dec 20, 2006
By CRAIG S. SMITH
 
PARIS, Dec. 19 - A Libyan court on Tuesday again sentenced five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doctor to be shot by a firing squad for deliberately infecting more than 400 children with H.I.V., more than 50 of whom have died. The decision complicates Libya's efforts to improve relations with the West.
 
The verdict drew expressions of anger and alarm from Bulgaria and its supporters in the nearly eight-year-old case, which now appears likely to drag on for months, if not years, more.
 
"We are going to urge the Libyan political leadership to engage in the process," Bulgaria's foreign minister, Ivaylo Kalfin, said from Washington, where he met with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice hours after the verdict was announced.
 
Mr. Kalfin said his country was working through the Libyan Foreign Ministry to ask the nation's leader, Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, and political institutions to intervene on the ground that an inefficient and biased judicial system had failed to deal with the case credibly.
 
Lawyers for the medical workers said they would appeal to Libya's Supreme Court.
 
The episode began in February 1998 when the nurses arrived to take up jobs at Al Fateh Children's Hospital in Benghazi, the country's second largest city. By August that year, children at the hospital began testing positive for H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS. Health authorities soon realized they had a major problem.
 
An investigation concluded that the infections came from the wards where the Bulgarian nurses had been assigned. Dozens of Bulgarian medical workers were arrested, and vials of H.I.V.-tainted blood were found in a videotaped search of one nurse's apartment.
 
According to a Libyan intelligence report submitted to the court, that nurse, Kristiyana Vulcheva, later confessed that the vials had been given to her by a British friend who was working in Libya. She said she and her colleagues had used the vials to infect the children.
 
Colonel Qaddafi subsequently charged that the health care workers had acted on the orders of the Central Intelligence Agency and Israel's intelligence agency, the Mossad.
 
A Benghazi court eventually convicted five nurses and a Palestinian doctor of deliberately injecting the children with the virus. But Ms. Vulcheva and another nurse said they were tortured into confessing, and international AIDS experts - including Luc Montagnier, the French virologist and a co-discoverer of H.I.V. - concluded that the virus predated the nurses' arrival and was probably spread by contaminated needles.
 
The medical workers were sentenced to death in May 2004, which led to difficult negotiations among Libya, Bulgaria, the United States and the European Union to find out a way out of the impasse.
 
Finally, last December, the four announced that they were setting up an international fund to cover medical care and other costs incurred by the families of the H.I.V.-infected children. Libya's Supreme Court quashed the death sentences two days later and called for a retrial, this time by a court in the capital, Tripoli.
 
The families have asked that Bulgaria or other donors provide $10 million per child, the same amount that Libya agreed to pay each of the families of the 270 people killed in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988, for which Libya has accepted responsibility.
 
The families have said they would agree to release the nurses and the doctor if their request was satisfied. Under Libyan law, victims' families have the power to grant clemency in return for compensation.
 
But only a few million dollars in cash, services and equipment has been donated to the fund; some of that was used to treat the children in Europe this year. Talks over further donations stalled while the trial was under way, apparently because, the Libyan families said, Bulgaria had hoped the new court would find the nurses not guilty.
 
But on Tuesday, the presiding judge, Mahmoud Hawissa, announced the latest guilty verdict in a seven-minute hearing. The Bulgarian foreign minister and defense lawyers argue that this trial was as equally flawed as the previous one.
 
Emmanuel Altit, a French lawyer in Paris who worked on the defense team, said: "The question of torture by electricity, proof that the nurses had been beaten, sexually harassed, kept for six months without contact, the question of fabricated evidence, none of this was discussed at all. The court refused to hear our experts."
 
The justice commissioner of the European Union, Franco Frattini, called on Libyan authorities to rethink their handling of the case, calling it "an obstacle to cooperation with the E.U." Bulgaria will become a member of the union on Jan. 1.
 
But for those Libyans who believe the nurses are guilty, the verdict was a foregone conclusion, even if their execution is not. Ramadan al-Faitore, whose 4-year-old stepsister was among the first to die, predicted earlier this month that the medical workers would be sentenced to death but not executed.
 
"No one will kill the nurses," Mr. Faitore said in Paris, echoing a statement made by Colonel Qaddafi's son Seif two years ago. Mr. Faitore said the nurses' freedom would depend on donations to the international fund. "After the trial, negotiations will start again," he said.
 
Mr. Kalfin, the Bulgarian foreign minister, said his country was committed to making sure that the fund would "provide lifelong medical treatment for the children and create conditions that would prevent this from ever happening again."
 
But he bristled at the suggestion that Bulgaria would pay "blood money" for the release of the nurses, calling such talk cynical.
 
Standing in a muddy field across the street from the Libyan Embassy in Sofia, Zorka Anachkova, the mother of Ms. Vulcheva, the nurse, said she wasn't surprised by the verdict.
 
"What kind of negotiations can you have for innocent people?" she asked. "All the evidence proves their innocence. Their innocence is axiomatic. What else is there to talk about?"
 
Nurses' First Lawyer: Something Could Still Be Done
 
Politics: 20 December 2006, Wednesday.
Bulgarian Online Newspaper
 
Bulgaria could still undertake some useful moves in the Libya HIV trial, the five nurses' first lawyer Vladimir Sheytanov has said.
 
Those, however, need to be made by competent people, he told Darik News.
 
Bulgaria's prosecutors are simply obliged to launch a trial against the Libyan policemen who tortured the five nurses, he added, as there is no legal ground not to launch it.
 
Paying a ransom for their freedom would be the biggest shame that could come upon the jailed nurses and the Bulgarian society, Sheytanov said. This shameful move couldn't save the medics, as they have been destroyed to a large extent and further disgrace couldn't help save them, he believes.
 
The five Bulgarian women and a Palestinian doctor were sentenced to death Tuesday for allegedly infecting hundreds of Libyan children with HIV. The verdict has sparked outcries of foul play from local and international experts.
 
Lavrov Calls for Bulgarian Medics' Life to be Saved
 
Politics: 20 December 2006, Wednesday.
 
Russia's Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has called for saving the life of the five Bulgarian nurses and the Palestinian doctor who were again sentenced to death in Libya on accusations of infecting children with HIV.
 
I don't know what the possibilities in the Libyan legislation are for the life of these people to be saved but I am calling for that, Lavrov said at a press conference.
 
We've issued the relevant signals at different levels in Tripoli. We've appealed to the Libyan government to be merciful and resolve the issue reasonably, of course in accordance with the legal procedures, he said.
 
The death sentence raises too many questions. I share the opinion of all who think the sentence is too cruel. It has failed to consider a number of facts which were presented at the trial, Lavrov added.
 
A Libyan court reiterated Tuesday the death sentences for five Bulgarian medics for deliberately infecting more than 400 children in a Benghazi hospital.
 
The court also sentenced the defendants to pay indemnifications to the families of AIDS-stricken families.
 
The medics have been in detention since 1999, during which time 52 of the 426 infected children have died of AIDS.
 
 
 
 
  icon paper stack View Older Articles   Back to Top   www.natap.org