Back grey_arrow_rt.gif
 
 
Stuart James McDonald pleads not guilty to HIV sex attacks
 
 
  | April 14, 2009
Article from: The Australian
 
A SOUTH Australian man with HIV has pleaded not guilty to endangering the lives of eight men he is accused of having unprotected sex with. Stuart James McDonald, 41, appeared in the Supreme Court today and denied eight charges of endangering the lives of eight men in Adelaide between January 2001 and January 2006.
 
He also pleaded not guilty to raping, assaulting and threatening the life of one of the men in February 2005.
 
Mr McDonald, from the Adelaide suburb of Edwardstown, is accused of having unprotected sex with the men while knowing he had the HIV AIDS virus and knowing the acts were likely to endanger their lives and intending or being recklessly indifferent to endangering their lives.
 
Justice Kevin Duggan told the court he was "anxious'' to list the case for trial "as soon as possible''.
 
Crown prosecutor Dominic Petraccaro said the prosecution was not in a position to list the case yet.
 
"It's obviously a complicated trial,'' he said.
 
Justice Duggan adjourned the case until next month (May 1) saying he would like the prosecution and defence to be in a position then to indicate when it was anticipated the trial might be able to commence.
 
Mr McDonald was remanded on continuing bail.
 
HIV-man ran prostitution ring: SA Libs
 
April 17, 2007 - 2:19PM
 
The South Australian Housing Trust turned a blind eye to allegations a HIV-positive man accused of infecting up to 12 men ran a male prostitution ring in his home, the SA Liberal Opposition says.
 
Stuart James McDonald, 39, has been detained in a closed psychiatric ward at Adelaide's Glenside Hospital after allegations he failed to tell or lied to sexual partners that he had the virus.
 
Opposition housing spokeswoman Vickie Chapman said she had copies of letters written by Mr McDonald's neighbour sent to the Housing Trust between November 2005 and May last year.
 
Ms Chapman said the letters detailed allegations of criminal and disruptive behaviour by the trust resident.
 
In one letter addressed to Housing Trust housing manager Michael Carey on December 14, 2005, the neighbour wrote: "I suspect he is a gay prostitute and running a prostitute ring via the internet, newspapers, the phone".
 
An Adelaide magistrate on Monday granted a 30-day extension to Mr McDonald's detention under the Public and Environmental Act after the original 12-day order lapsed.
 
A complaint was first made to SA Health Authorities against Mr McDonald in 2005, after he moved to Adelaide from NSW nine years ago.
 
He was then placed under the control of health officials on March 19 and ordered to modify his behaviour after further allegations came to light.
 
Ms Chapman said Mr McDonald was not evicted from his state housing home until last July when police investigated reports he was growing hydroponic marijuana.
 
She said the seven-month delay to investigate the man after the prostitution allegations were made was reprehensible.
 
"Tragically for the alleged victims of McDonald, this allegation and ongoing allegations of his running a male prostitution business were not taken seriously back in December 2005," she said.
 
"Had the minister's Housing Trust investigated and cross-checked at all with the man's social worker of mental health supervisory panel, his activities would have come to light late in 2005, with the number of people being allegedly infected by him potentially reduced."
 
Housing Minister Jay Weatherill was not immediately available for comment.
 
Meanwhile, Health Minister John Hill said the Health Department had received complaints against 24 people since 1994 over concerns of HIV/AIDS.
 
He said of those, five were now managed under the Public and Environment Act, and three, including Mr McDonald, had a direction order placed on them.
 
A departmental investigation had started a review to assess that all cases of the type had been handled appropriately, he said.
 
A separate independent inquiry by Adelaide lawyer, Stephen Walsh, QC, has begun to examine how the cases were handled in reference to national guidelines and state legislation.
 
 
 
 
 
  icon paper stack View Older Articles   Back to Top   www.natap.org